I can’t resist a good cupcake and frequently have to stop myself buying expensive ones in London, especially when I know I could make my own for a fraction of the price! I recently fell in love with Jane’s Patisserie blog and the vast array of gorgeous treats so decided to give one of her recipes her go. One of my very favourite chocolate bars are Kinder Buenos and realising I hadn’t actually baked with them before, it was decided that Kinder would be my hero product in this months recipe.
YOU WILL NEED:
For the cupcakes:
175g of softened unsalted butter
175g light brown sugar
140g self-raising flour
35g cocoa powder
For the buttercream:
150g softened unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
100g of Kinder chocolate bars (these ones!)
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160C fan and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2) Using an electric whisk if you can, cream together the butter and brown sugar until the mixture is smooth.
3) Add in the eggs, self-raising flour and cocoa powder before whisking again until all combined.
4) Spoon your mixture into the cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until baked completely. Leave this to cool.
5) For the buttercream, melt the kinder chocolate bars in the microwave, be very careful as these melt incredibly quickly and you don’t want to burn it! Once melted, set this bowl to one side to cool slightly.
6) In another bowl, beat the 150g of unsalted butter until smooth before adding the icing sugar, 100g at a time until it is all combined. Then add the melted kinder chocolate and whisk again until smooth and you are left with a gorgeous chocolatey buttercream.
7) Pipe your cupcakes with the buttercream using a large nozzle and decorate with pieces of Kinder Bueno bar.
The cupcakes were so light and fluffy and the buttercream was utterly dreamy, it’s safe to say these are most definitely up there with my favourite cupcake recipes so far! I’d love to know your favourite type of cupcake and what you think I should bake next!
Rosalie Horrocks x